Cash Back For Energy Improvements
Residents may qualify for up to $1,000 in cash rebates for energy efficient improvements under a new City of Fort Lauderdale program aimed at improving energy efficiency, protecting the environment and lowering monthly energy bills.
Rebates will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis for the purchase and installation of heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems (HVAC), solar or gas on-demand water heaters, solar panels, Energy Star windows or doors and insulation. The program provides a 50% match of up to $1,000. The City plans to distribute $235,000 in federal grants.
How It Works
Residents submit a short application for program participation approval the includes an FPL Energy Survey Report, proof of owner occupancy, the type of improvement and a written estimate of the work. At the time of approval, the City will earmark the funds needed to issue your rebate check.
Approved applicants have four months to complete the work and submit a request for their rebate check along with the home improvement proof of purchase and permit documentation. If an applicant does not submit the rebate request within four months of approval, the unused funding will be reallocated to applicants who are placed on a waiting list.
- Applicants must own and occupy the Fort Lauderdale property being improved.
- Applicants must obtain a free FPL Energy Survey (available online) and submit a copy of the FPL Energy Report.
- Home improvements must meet Energy Star qualifications and/or Florida Building Code (which will depend on the item selected).
- Applicants or their contractors must obtain necessary permits.
- Energy efficient systems must be installed by a certified FPL Participating Independent Contractor or Licensed Florida installer.
- Purchases and installations must occur after November 15, 2010
This program is funded through a grant from the U.S. Department of Energy’s Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant program using funds allocated under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. There is a limit of one rebate per household.
For more information and an application package, visit www.fortlauderdale.gov/rebates or contact the 24-Hour Customer Service Center at 954-828-8000